Wednesday, October 2, 2013

My Apologies to the Baby

Those of you who have had babies at your house may recall the seemingly endless hours of sleep that they require.  Consequently, I find myself saying "Quiet!  The baby's asleep!" in a hushed, angry voice all day long.  Well, Saturday was no different, at least at first.  Mike was hunting, and I was trying to get some chores done in the morning while baby S took her nap.  The kids were playing rambunctiously, and I told them a couple of times to be quiet or they'd wake the baby.  I was ignored, and sure enough, S woke up crying 30 minutes before she normally would.  I still had several chores to do, chores which I realized I wouldn't get to finish.  That is, until I remembered that this was NOT MY PROBLEM!

I told my kids, "Oh, bummer, you guys were loud, and now S is awake.  That's too bad.  I still have a few chores to do, so I can't take care of her.  You'll need to take care of her while I finish up."  This sounded fine to them.  C went into her room and got her out of the crib.  He brought her to the living room, where the three older kids proceeded to try to make her happy.  This is much easier said than done with my youngest.  If she isn't happy, the only thing that helps is to have me or Mike pick her up and carry her around.  She was still tired, which made it worse.  They tried putting her on her tummy, on her back, holding her, giving her toys, singing her songs, playing games, etc.  Nothing worked.  I didn't rush my chores or leave a few until later.  I kept working on my housework, all the while listening to S screaming and the other three getting more and more frustrated that they couldn't get her to stop.  (I think I should make it clear that I was always watching them, making sure that nobody hurt baby S in any way!)

The amazing part about this:  I wasn't upset or grumpy!  I mean, sure the house was totally chaotic and extremely loud.  But for once it wasn't my problem, it was theirs.  So it didn't bug my like it normally does.  After about 20 minutes of this, I finished my chores and went into the living room to get S and calm her down.  Within 5 seconds of picking her up, she stopped crying.  (I love it when that happens!)  The kids were so relieved.

I realized that this had several positive results.  First of all, it improved my mood during this type of situation.  I was more relaxed and calm, and therefore a better mother.  Secondly, it taught them the importance of letting S sleep.  We'll see how this weekend goes, but I am hopeful that they'll remember to use softer voices when she naps.

I did feel pretty bad for poor little S.  Crying and screaming, and just plain unhappy for 20 minutes.  But I am banking on the fact that she won't remember it to hold it against me and that it was worth it to teach an important lesson.  So sorry S!

No comments:

Post a Comment