Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Back to the Grind


Well it was business as usual this week, with school and life back to normal.  I decided to implement some new tactics into our daily schedule, and so far we are having moderate success.  When the kids woke up Monday morning, I had a list of morning chores ready for them and I said, "You're welcome to have breakfast as soon as all of your chores are done."  In our house, food is a good motivator, so the kids actually got all their work done before school!  They weren't happy about it, but at least it got done.  And I didn't have to spend my first hour after they were gone cleaning up after them, because I made sure to put that stuff on their chore lists.  I have also done the same thing for them after school.  "You are welcome to play or do what you want as soon as all your chores are done."

I've had a few challenges from different kids, but I think I've handled it okay.  Last night, C was teasing his little brother with toys, so the toys had to be taken (in an empathetic way and without anger).  Then he got made at me and threw a fit, so I had him do some chores for me, which made him furious.  But by the time the chores were done, he had calmed right down, and I had three things marked off of my list of what to prepare before Grandma's visit!

Then this morning, I told little P that he could eat as soon as he was dressed and had shoes and socks on.  Well, an hour later it was time to take the older kids to school, and he was still running around in his underwear.  I loaded everybody up in the car and then went to get P.  He was in panic mode by now, as he realized I was really leaving.  Not willing to leave him behind, I picked him up in his half dressed state (he had managed to get his pants on at least) and buckled him into the car.  He had no shirt, coat, socks, shoes, or breakfast, and boy was he mad.  He screamed at me for most of the drive.  We dropped off the kids and went home, and wouldn't you know, he got dressed right away!  I am curious to see how our morning routine goes tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment