Sunday, December 22, 2013

Warm Koolaid??

With the holidays fast approaching, Mike and I find ourselves staying up later and later, trying to get those last minute projects done.  Needless to say, last night was no exception.  Last night it was 12:30am before we were ready to go to bed, and by then one of the kids was awake and needing us.  So I finally went to sleep at 1:00am, only to be woken by the baby at 2:30 and again by the three year old at 3:15.  So when 7:00am came around, I wasn't really ready to get up.  It's Sunday, so theoretically we can sleep in.  Mike always does, but somehow that doesn't work for me.  Unusually, I wasn't awakened by loud children, but by a "menu" being placed on top of me.  It had breakfast choices.  Thinking how adorable my kiddos are, I filled out the order form, requesting toast with jam, and rolled back over to get some sleep.  A few minutes later, after many entertaining sounds coming from the kitchen, I was served a plate with a piece of "toast" on it.  I use the term loosely, because the bread wasn't toasted, more like dried out a bit.  There was butter spread on both sides, and clumps of grape jelly on the top.  After sending it back to the kitchen, I got the upgraded version, which included the grape jelly scraped off to the side of my plate, and clumps of homemade apricot jam on the bread instead.
About this time, I heard the baby awake, and I saw my oldest bringing me a very full cup of deep red liquid.  I decided to get up so that Mike could sleep and so I wouldn't have to clean up red carpet.  I came into the kitchen to eat my breakfast.  The kids told me they made me a warm drink.  Since they couldn't find the cocoa, they made me hot koolaid.  It was warm and bitter.  C told me that they put a whole packet into the cup with some hot tap water and decided it needed sugar.  So they added some.  It was very gross, which those of you who have ever had unsweetened, concentrated koolaid will know.  But it was so sweet that I tried a few swallows anyway and thanked them for being so thoughtful.  Even though I didn't drink the koolaid, and I discreetly threw the interesting toast out, it warmed my heart to see how considerate and sweet these little angels of mine are.  As an added bonus, I didn't have to cook breakfast today.  They even cleaned up 2/3 of their mess!  And come to think of it, I'm sure nobody else had quite as special of a meal this morning as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment